This unusual flying ship was created by the Brazilian Jesuit Bartolomeu de Gusman (1685-1724).
It was not just an idea on paper - Gusman actually created this device and demonstrated a "heavier than air machine" flying in front of the Portuguese palace Casa da India in Lisbon on August 8, 1709. Engraving from publication, England, 18th century
According to Bartolomeu de Gusman, the ship was propelled by “two different magnets located inside the spheres (celestial and globe), maneuvering was carried out by“oars”on the sides of the vehicle, and in the rear there were“propulsion units”for emergency acceleration.
“In 1709, he petitioned the King of Portugal, João V, asking for the king's favor for his invention of the airship, to which he expressed great confidence. The contents of this petition have survived, along with the image and description of his airship. Gusman wanted to spread a huge sail over the boat's body, like the cover of a transport car; The boat itself was supposed to contain pipes through which, in the absence of wind, air was supplied to the sail using bellows. The ship was to be propelled by magnets, which were to be enclosed in two hollow metal balls. Public tests of the machine, scheduled for June 24, 1709, did not take place. It is known that Gusman worked on this principle and at a public exhibition, which he staged on August 8, 1709 in Casa da ndia in Lisbon, when he sent a balloon upward with the help of combustion, but hitting the ceiling, it exploded."
It was - It is
Historical sources mention that after the demonstration of their "flying ship" Bartolomeu de Gusman became interested in the Holy Inquisition.
Towards the end of 1724, after traveling through Europe and registering a number of new inventions, Bartolomeu returned to Portugal only to be greeted by the Inquisition, which accused him of close acquaintance with new Christians. He then fled to Spain in hopes of reaching England. He died in Toledo at the age of 38, on November 18, 1724.
In 1936, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Luftschiffbau Zeppelin built Bartolomeu de Gusman Airport to operate the rigid Graf Zeppelin and Hindenburg airships. In 1941, it was transferred to the Brazilian Air Force and renamed Santa Cruz Air Force Base. Currently, the airport serving Araraquara is called Bartolomeu de Gusmão Airport.
You can find other "corrected" drawings of this "flying ship":
Museo do Ar The grid has disappeared, there is no celestial sphere, no globe, instead of them just spheres, no nozzles
But, you can find (if you try) and a description of this aircraft in later sources, for example, in the "Journal of Mechanics, Museum, Register, Journal and Bulletin, Volume 38", published in 1843.
Automatic text translation:
Interestingly, the inventor reportedly destroyed all of his drawings and manuscripts, but I found mention of many searching for his drawings in an issue dated 20th, 1786, by the London Daily Universal Register:
“They add that several learned people, French and English, who were in Lisbon to verify this fact (the existence of a flying ship), made inquiries at the Carmelite monastery, where Gusman had a brother who preserved some of his manuscripts on how to create aerostatic machines. …Various living people claim that they were present at the experiments of the Jesuit and that he received the name Voador, or the Flying Man."