Black holes and dark matter: Russian physicists have discussed a new hypothesis

Black holes and dark matter: Russian physicists have discussed a new hypothesis
Black holes and dark matter: Russian physicists have discussed a new hypothesis

Russian scientists commented to RIA Novosti the new hypothesis of the emergence of supermassive black holes proposed by American researchers and drew attention to the connection of this scientific problem with the development of various fields of science of the future.

Earlier it was reported that American scientists proposed an original hypothesis for the formation of supermassive black holes in the early universe. Supermassive black holes are black holes whose mass is several million or billion times the mass of the Sun. Such objects are located at the center of many galaxies, including the Milky Way.

Researchers at the University of California, Riverside and the Institute of Cosmological Physics at the University of Chicago, in their article published in the Astrophysical Journal Letters, presented a model according to which massive black holes could form as a result of self-interaction of dark matter particles.

Modern physics studies many natural phenomena. For information on how and what scientists are researching and why it is needed, see the infographic prepared according to the data of the National Research Nuclear University MEPhI.

The basic idea of the study, at first glance, looks interesting and quite realistic, says Professor Artem Yurov, director of the Institute of Physical and Mathematical Sciences and Information Technologies of the IKBFU.

"We observe supermassive black holes very distant from us, but due to the fact that the speed of light is finite, we see them at the moment of emission of light, which means they are as they were many years ago. Thus, observations indicate that already in In a very young Universe, there were supermassive black holes, but this is where the problem arises: for such huge black holes to appear, either it takes a long time, or the presence of an unaccounted gravitating one. baryonic matter, dark matter plays an important role in this process, especially since physicists and cosmologists have already "used" it in describing the formation of galaxy embryos, "he said.

He noted that in order to test the new model, detailed studies are needed, it is necessary to understand how it is consistent with other data.

“How many beautiful and, at first glance, plausible hypotheses could not withstand collision with observational data! Today, thanks to space telescopes, there is a huge amount of data literally pouring from the sky to us, and we have very good ways of processing it., as a rule, to refute this or that hypothesis. I think we will soon find out how consistent the model proposed by American scientists is, "added Artem Yurov.

In his opinion, the study of the emergence of supermassive black holes will allow scientists to obtain a lot of information about the microcosm.

"To understand the physics of elementary particles, we need huge energies that are not available to us in laboratory conditions. Nevertheless, we can study them through astrophysical observations, since they were realized during the collapse of large objects in the very early universe. By filling the knowledge gaps, we can develop science and technology of the future ", - stressed Artem Yurov.

The mystery of the rapid formation of supermassive black holes first attracted the attention of scientists 20-30 years ago, and today the overwhelming majority of specialists in the field of the early Universe admit the existence of this scientific problem, noted Sergey Rubin, professor at the Department of Elementary Particle Physics at the National Research Nuclear University MEPhI (NRNU MEPhI).

“Obviously, supermassive primordial black holes formed before stars. Since 1993, scientists have proposed different models to explain their formation. American researchers have proposed one of the explanations, there is nothing extraordinary in this. Our research group at NRNU MEPhI has also been developing one of these models for a long time, "he said.

Sergei Rubin also noted the importance of studying this problem for the development of modern science.

“We are composed of and surrounded by a known substance, but it is only 5% of all the matter that fills the Universe. The properties of the remaining 95% are unknown, and they should be studied by any means in order to benefit from them or avoid the dangers. the mysterious appearance of primordial black holes is one of the ways to study these very 95% of the unknown matter that surrounds and permeates us. In addition, knowledge of the past of the Universe helps to predict its future and the future of humanity inside it, "he concluded.

Popular by topic