The expression "cursed place" has almost become a cliché. This is the name of all territories where something anomalous happens … Meanwhile, there are objects with which the legends of curses are really associated. Many of them are found in today's Russian capital.
Fiery Rock of Theater Square
One of the legends is associated with the so-called "rock of fire" of the Bolshoi Theater. Indeed, the Bolshoi building has been haunted by fires for many centuries.
The history of the Bolshoi Theater began on March 28, 1776, when the provincial prosecutor, Prince Pyotr Vasilyevich Urusov, received from Empress Catherine II the highest permission to contain "all kinds of theatrical performances, as well as concerts, voxals and masquerades."
Urusov began to build a building for a new theater on Petrovka, on the right bank of the Neglinka River. However, even before the opening, the building burned down for the first time. After that, the prince ceased to be interested in the project, transferring affairs to his companion, the Englishman Michael Medox. Thanks to him, the first theater building was built - a three-story brick building, under a plank roof. For a quarter of a century, performances were held at the Bolshoi Petrovsky Theater, but on October 8, 1805, it burned down again.
Another theater building was erected on Arbat Square by Karl Rossi. But it also burned down in 1812, during the Napoleonic invasion.
In 1821, the Bolshoi Theater began to rebuild once again on Teatralnaya - the former Arbatskaya - square. But on March 11, 1853, another fire followed. A fire began in a carpentry workshop, later it was established that it was the fault of the lamp-makers.
All interior spaces were destroyed by fire. Not without human casualties: many people who were in the building died … As a result, only the outer walls and the colonnade at the main entrance remained from the theater building. It was only three years later that the theater was rebuilt.
Someone then drew attention to a strange pattern: all fires started in the basements of the theater. And then an old legend surfaced.
In 1603, Moscow was engulfed in a plague epidemic. Fearing infection, a certain Nikita Vladimirovich Dvinyatin locked the doors of his house and did not let anyone on the threshold. But one day a man in a black cloak with a low pulled down hood knocked on the door, declaring himself a doctor. He stated that he had brought with him a miracle cure for the plague, and offered the Dvinyatin family to try it for free, so to speak, "for advertising purposes." Households, as if under hypnosis, drank the potion suggested by the "doctor". Almost immediately they all died in terrible agony: the drug turned out to be poison. Only the youngest son survived, who, like his father, was called Nikita: he, frightened of something, secretly spilled the "medicine" on the floor and hid on the stove …
Thinking that he was alone in the house, the "doctor" began to collect the master's goods. He did not notice how the boy slipped out of the house. Going to the neighbors, Nikita told them about the terrible fate of his relatives. The neighbors managed to overtake the villain when he tried to leave the house of the Dvinyatins with the loot. The villain was forced to drink the remnants of the "miracle potion", and when he died, the body was thrown into a swamp. It is on the site of that swamp that Teatralnaya Square is located. The soul of the "doctor" cannot calm down in any way and tries to take revenge, hence the fires, the "knowledgeable" people assured.
Indeed, there is evidence that before all the fires in the theatrical basements they saw the silhouette of a man dressed in a black cloak with a hood …
Wanderer and three stations
Komsomolskaya Square in Moscow is often referred to as "the area of three stations." Here is one of the most sinister and criminal places in the capital, where crooks of all stripes, homeless people, prostitutes, beggars gather … It is possible that they are attracted here by a special energy.
According to legend, in the XIV century there was a monastery on this place. One night, a terrible bad weather broke out - a heavy rain was pouring, the wind was whistling … And then a wanderer knocked at the gate of the monastery, asked to let him wait out the bad weather. But the monks refused for some reason. Then the wanderer in his hearts cursed the monastery, wishing him to go underground. Immediately the walls shook, and the building actually began to collapse …
Nothing was built here for 300 years. Finally, Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich Quiet ordered to build a so-called traveling palace in these places. A wooden watchtower was erected under him. And this place became known as the Kalanchevsky field. On the western bank of the Red Pond, where the Yaroslavsky and Leningradsky railway stations are now located, at the end of the 17th century, a new field artillery yard appeared, which burned down in 1812 after the explosion of shells lying on it.
In the 18th century, an Italian entrepreneur decided to build a wooden theater on the damned site. But the theater building burned down three times.
In the middle of the 19th century, the swamps were drained and the construction of the Nikolaevsky railway station began. It was named so in memory of Emperor Nicholas I. The station was to connect Moscow with the then capital - Petersburg, now it is called Leningrad. There were many problems with construction: more than once workers died, walls collapsed, and they had to be rebuilt … Later, two more stations were erected here - Yaroslavsky and Ryazansky (future Kazansky), and then, already under Soviet rule, a metro station appeared.
In July 1934, at a depth of eight meters, workers stumbled upon some kind of buildings. It turned out that they are at least 6-7 centuries old. Archaeologists decided to arrange excavations, but suddenly a heavy rain began in Moscow, which did not stop for several days. As a result, the adit, where the old buildings were discovered, was flooded, and its frame began to collapse. Komsomol metro builders with incredible efforts prevented the collapse. After that, in honor of their labor feat, both the former Kalanchevskaya square and the metro station were named "Komsomolskaya".
They say that chronal anomalies are observed in the area of three stations. For example, passengers were late for the train, as it seemed to them that several minutes had passed, but in fact - hours … In addition, people here repeatedly disappeared.
And sometimes a mysterious old man with a long stick, dressed in rags, appears on the square of three stations. He stops in front of the Kazan station, falls to his knees and crosses himself three times. And then it disappears to no one knows where. There is an assumption that this is the same wanderer who was not allowed to stay for the night by the monks. Now he is trying to atone for his sin …
The curse of the abbess
The Cathedral of Christ the Savior was originally laid in 1817 on the Sparrow Hills. However, the project was never implemented: 22 years later, the cathedral began to be built in a new place - near Borovitsky Hill.
The tsar ordered to demolish the buildings there, including the Alekseevsky nunnery - a 17th century monument, which was transferred to Krasnoe Selo in 1836. Here is what I. M. Lyubimov in his book "Little-known Moscow": "… The nuns of the Alekseevsky Monastery have finished their last divine service. The monastic utensils were loaded onto carts, but the abbess of the monastery, the abbess, still did not appear. And suddenly, unexpectedly leaving the cell, she ordered herself to be chained to an oak tree. The nuns, who were trained in advance and loyal to her, immediately fulfilled the abbess's wish. The abbess's refusal to leave the monastery was interpreted by the authorities as a riot, as disobedience to the decree of Nicholas I. Therefore, the abbess was freed from the fetters and forcibly driven out of the gate. Turning around, she said: "There will be nothing to stand here!"
Construction began only in 1839 and lasted for almost 44 years. The consecration took place on May 26 (June 7), 1883.
Since January 1918, state funding of churches has been discontinued. And on July 13, 1931, at a meeting of the USSR Central Executive Committee, it was decided to demolish the cathedral and build a Palace of Soviets in its place. On December 5, 1931, the cathedral was blown up. It took a whole year and a half to clear the rubble.
However, the pompous Palace of the Soviets, the construction of which began in 1937, was never completed - the Great Patriotic War interfered. From 1960 to 1994, on the site of the destroyed church, the Moskva swimming pool was located, and then the construction of a new cathedral began. It was completed by 1999.
Although the Cathedral of Christ the Savior is the central cathedral not only of the capital, but of the whole of Russia, the attitude of Russians towards it is ambiguous: some call it a "remake" and argue that there is "unfavorable energy." They also remember the curse of the abbess of the Alekseevsky monastery …