Although thrush is a disease of adults, it can also occur in children. Parents need to recognize it in time and seek advice from a gynecologist at a children's clinic. The doctor will conduct an examination and prescribe treatment, without which the girl's reproductive health can be severely affected. Any disorders and gynecological diseases in childhood and adolescence often lead to chronic inflammation and infertility in adult girls.
Why does thrush appear in girls
A pediatric gynecologist is often faced with cases of vulvovaginal candidiasis or thrush. This disease is caused by fungi of the genus Candida, which are part of the natural microflora that live on the mucous membranes of the vagina and other organs. If their concentration does not exceed the norm, they do not cause discomfort. But as soon as the number of these fungi increases, symptoms of thrush arise, in which the consultation of a pediatric gynecologist is immediately required.
Note! According to statistics, a pediatric gynecologist most often encounters cases of vaginal candidiasis during the neonatal period, at the age of 3 and 7 years, in adolescence.
The provoking factors of growth in the number of Candida:
- decrease in the protective properties of the body;
- transferred ARVI;
- long-term treatment with antibiotics and other drugs that lower immunity;
- violation of the daily routine;
- change of time zones;
- changes in hormonal levels.
Doctors often consider thrush to be an indicator of the state of the immune system. Its appearance indicates a weakening of the immune system. Experts advise to make an appointment with the child at the clinic at the first sign of candidiasis, since they attribute it to a systemic disease that can be caused by serious health problems.
Features of the development of the disease in children of different age groups
During the examination, a good obstetrician-gynecologist asks about the features of the development of the disease, which differ depending on age:
- Babies. During the neonatal period, the appearance of thrush is associated with intrauterine infection. The infection is passed from mother to newborn during childbirth. It is possible to prevent infection if a woman contacts an obstetrician with an antenatal clinic in time to undergo antifungal treatment.
- Girls 3-5 years old. Preventive consultation with an obstetrician will help prevent thrush at this age, since its occurrence is often caused by insufficient hygiene of the external genital organs. Children with a history of allergies are also at risk, so if itching occurs in the genital area, it is necessary to undergo an examination.
- Children 6-7 years old. At the time of the beginning of school attendance, there is a third wave of morbidity. It is associated with frequent colds and the lack of necessary hygiene of the genitals. Before school, it is worth making an appointment with a gynecologist, who accepts free of charge at the clinic.
- Girls 11-13 years old. After the appearance of menarche, the frequency of vulvovaginal candidiasis increases. The onset of the disease can be associated with hormonal disorders and weakening of the immune system. A child at this age should be registered with a good doctor working in the women's office, not only to prevent thrush, but also to prevent the occurrence of gynecological pathologies and cycle disorders.
The older the girl becomes, the more important it is to consult with a female specialist about menstruation, hygiene of the genitals, and prevention of sexually transmitted diseases. The task of the parents is to help the child get to the doctor and not be afraid of examination, to choose a good specialist.
What symptoms need to show the child to the doctor
There is a huge list of indications when an appointment with a pediatric gynecologist is required. If there is no way to get to him, you should make an appointment with a pediatrician. The doctor can write a preliminary treatment to reduce unpleasant symptoms, but the girl should still be examined by a pediatric gynecologist. Only this specialist can carry out early diagnosis of gynecological diseases, since he specializes in gynecology.
It is worth making an appointment with an obstetrician when the following signs appear:
- itching in the labia majora and labia minora, perineum, rectum;
- pain and burning when urinating;
- white bloom in the labia area;
- abundant discharge of a white-yellow color of a curdled consistency, which have an unpleasant odor;
- aching pain in the lower abdomen.
A small child 2-3 years old is not able to describe his feelings, so he becomes restless, moody, sleeps poorly, is afraid of urination, which is why he does not sit on the potty. As soon as these signs appear, it would be good to immediately get an appointment with a doctor. A pediatric gynecologist at the initial examination will detect candidiasis without problems, and early diagnosis and treatment is the best prevention of neurotic disorders due to severe itching, synechiae and other complications of the disease.
How is the appointment of a pediatric gynecologist
The reproductive health of a girl depends on the quality of medical care, so the pediatric gynecologist conducts a comprehensive examination. The consultation goes like this:
- The doctor accepts the child in his office, one of the parents must be present at the examination. Reception in time lasts no more than 20-30 minutes.
- The children's gynecologist listens to complaints, asks the circumstances of the onset of symptoms of candidiasis, and studies the history of diseases. It is very important to find out the root cause, therefore, all the doctor's questions must be answered truthfully and as fully as possible.
- After communication, the doctor conducts a visual examination of the external genital organs, takes a smear to determine the pathogen.
For some reason, it is customary to be afraid of receiving a female doctor, which is why children come to the consultation too late, when the symptoms are pronounced, there are complications. As a result, long-term treatment, the likelihood of chronic recurrent candidiasis is high.
All activities carried out by a pediatrician obstetrician-gynecologist do not cause pain. The doctor accepts in a comfortable environment for the child.
For the examination, you can register the girl for free with a pediatric gynecologist who works in a public hospital, or go to a private clinic where specialists with many years of experience lead the reception.
How to sign up for treatment
For the treatment of candidiasis in a child, it is necessary to choose a good pediatric gynecologist. The main task of the doctor is not just to cure the symptoms of the disease, but to find and eliminate the cause that triggered the development of thrush.
A pediatric gynecologist working at a private center has extensive experience in the early diagnosis and treatment of various gynecological diseases, including candidiasis. Therapy is selected taking into account the clinical picture, the cause of the disease and the individual characteristics of the child.
Treatment for thrush prescribed by a pediatric obstetrician gynecologist may include:
- antifungal drugs of local and systemic action;
- douching with anti-inflammatory and antiseptic solutions;
- probiotic agents;
- immunomodulatory drugs;
- vitamin therapy.
In the treatment of thrush, an integrated approach is important, which must be taken into account by the pediatric gynecologist. You can get his advice for free by leaving a request on the clinic's website.