An earthquake of magnitude 5 occurred in a densely populated region of Armenia with its epicenter lying at a shallow depth within the village of Ovtashen and 5 kilometers from the city of Masis.
Ovtashen is a village in the Ararat region of Armenia. Population: 1,134
Masis is a city in Armenia, Ararat region. Located on the left bank of the Hrazdan River, 14 km south of Yerevan. Population: 18,911
The city is experiencing interruptions with cellular communications and the Internet, many residents, fearing repeated tremors, went out of their homes to the streets.
"The seismological station of the territorial seismic protection service registered an earthquake with a magnitude of 4, 7 eight kilometers south-east of Yerevan. The earthquake center lay at a depth of 10 kilometers, the strength of tremors in the epicenter was 6-7 points," the Ministry of Emergency Situations of Armenia reported.
According to eyewitnesses, the earthquake in the city was so strong that goods fell from the shelves in stores. In addition, furniture fell to the floor in houses.
A little later, the Ministry of Emergency Situations reported - "We have activity after the earthquake. About 20 aftershocks have been registered. We urge the population to stay outdoors. Additional information will be provided."
- Hovtashen, Ararat, Armenia 0.8 km (0.5 mi) WSW Population: 1,134
- Masis, Ararat, Armenia 5.5 km (3.4 mi) northwest Population: 18,911
- Artashat, Ararat, Armenia 10.2 km (6.4 mi) SE Population: 20,562
- Yerevan, Yerevan, Armenia 17.8 km (11.1 mi) northeastward Population: 1,093,485
- Vagharshapat, Armavir, Armenia 20.9 km (13 mi) northwest Population: 46,540